Thursday, July 21, 2016

PMJ Dream On


Postmodern Jukebox releases a new song every Thursday. I can never fall completely asleep on Wednesdays so wake up the next day in the twilight grasp of a cold sweat and usually gripping my phone frantically refreshing their youtube page in rapt anticipation for what they will have posted next and this week I SCREAMED IN ECSTASY when I heard it.
OH MY GOD.
They have taken Aerosmith into the realm of the supernaturally sensual with this utterly exotic, hypnotic and erotic take on their 1973 classic Dream On.
Morgan James languid and luscious vocals give this epic jam sumptuous round hips that undulate like the best stripper in New Orleans and that is high praise in case you don't recognize it as such.
I know you are reading this Scott Bradlee and I LOVE YOU. PMJ is life and I love you and your music and your vision and your creativity and your light. See you  in November at Verizon I will be the glowing glamazon with the pink hair, and hat covered with fish.... 
Dream On was Aerosmith's debut single and it was the song that saved them from being dropped from their label. There is a hilarious story of gangsters and one about a serious bout of crabs in its history but I shan't sully this blog by indulging in sordid tales today.
Steven Tyler spent 6 years working on it. The chords were inspired by his father who was a classically trained pianist and when Steven was three he would sit under the piano listening to his dad play. As for the lyrics Steven says:
"It's about the hunger to be somebody: Dream until your dreams come true." This song sums up the sh*t you put up with when you're in a new band. Most of the critics panned our first album, and said we were ripping off the Stones. That's a good barometer of my anger at the press, which I still have. 'Dream On' came of me playing the piano when I was about 17 or 18, and I didn't know anything about writing a song. It was just this little sonnet that I started playing one day. I never thought that it would end up being a real song."