Friday, May 12, 2017

HURT: NIN, Sharon Tate & Johnny Cash


22 years ago Nine Inch Nails recorded their album The Downward Spiral in the house where Sharon Tate, Jay Sebring, Abigail Folger Wojciech Frykowski & Stephen Parent were murdered. Trent Reznor was personally confronted by Sharon's sister Patti about it. He told Rolling Stone:
"While I was working on the Downward Spiral, I was living in the house where Sharon Tate was killed. Then one day I met her sister [Patti Tate]. It was a random thing, just a brief encounter. And she said: 'Are you exploiting my sister's death by living in her house?' For the first time, the whole thing kind of slapped me in the face. I said, 'No, it's just sort of my own interest in American folklore. I'm in this place where a weird part of history occurred.' I guess it never really struck me before, but it did then. She lost her sister from a senseless, ignorant situation that I don't want to support. When she was talking to me, I realized for the first time, 'What if it was my sister?' I thought, 'Fuck Charlie Manson.' I went home and cried that night. It made me see there's another side to things, you know?"

Almost 10 years later The Man In Black Johnny Cash would record his own version of the song for his 87th album American IV: The Man Comes Around. The video was filmed by Mark Romaneck who was racing against the clock because Johnny was 71 and his health was rapidly declining. The video was shot at The House of Cash, a museum that was also Johnny's private home, in Nashville. Mark said in this interview
"It had been closed for a long time, the place was in such a state of dereliction. That’s when I got the idea that maybe we could be extremely candid about the state of Johnny’s health - as candid as Johnny has always been in his songs."
Johnny died 7 months after this was filmed. And The House Of Cash  burned down in 2007.
When Trent Reznor heard Johnny's version of Hurt and saw the video he said he was deeply moved, that it was so beautiful and meaningful that "this song isn't mine anymore."